The Madison Square Park is clearly a hotspot for startups not only in New York City but in the United States, and a lot of these startups begin with a simple desk or office in a shared co-working space. Here is a look at some of the options in the Flatiron, Nomad, and Madison Square Park neighborhoods (NOTE – please send any additions or modifications to email@example.com):
Wix Lounge (235 West 23rd Street | 646-862-0833): A bit west of the neighborhood, but this is a free co-working, event and exhibit space for creative professionals from 9am-5pm Monday through Friday on a first-come first-serve basis.
- Grind (419 Park Ave South | 646-558-3250): Prices range from $35/day to $500/month for a shared desk from 8am-midnight. Amenities include free Intelligentsia coffee, a conference room, and phone booths for calls.
- NeueHouse (110 East 25th Street | 212-273-0440): A nice looking space for solopreneurs and small businesses (1-10 people) with shared table space, and private offices, plus a conference room and a screening room. Memberships start at $450/month and go up. They even have The Canteen with food directed by chef, Gregg Drusinsky (Casa Mono, Lupa and Le Bernardin).
- TechSpace Chelsea (44 West 28th Street | 212-905-7712): There are 62 office suites. Private offices start at $1250/month. TechSpace Flatiron (18 West 18th Street | 212-905-7725) Private offices start at $1250/month. There are 22 private office suites.
COWORK|RS (115 E 23rd Street | 212-738-9581): Communal desks, private offices, meeting rooms, and a lounge, with fast internet, HD projectors, printers, copiers, free coffee, tea, and beer, foosball, ping pong and video games. Pricing ranges from $350/mo for a shared space and $800 and up for a private office.
- Studio Guild (18 West 27th Street): A wind powered space with 3 floors of desks for creative and tech types. All desks are $515/month (some with Empire State Building views!). There is a big conference room and shared internet.
- 42west24.com (42 West 24th Street |212-691-0609), Hot desks for $299/month, Desks for $499/mo., offices for$1900-$2500/month. Amenities include conference room w/ tv monitor, internet, and 24/7 access.
- OfficeLinks Hub (460 Park Avenue South | 877-649-5071): The space has big windows with a skylight streaming in natural sunlight. Provides a secure technology infrastructure, meditation room, phone booths, state of the art meeting rooms as well as private office space. Dedicated desk- $750, Full time membership – $500, Part time membership- $229, Day Pass- $35.
In Good Company Workplaces (16 West 23rd Street | 646-810-9195): This two floor space is for women entrepreneurs and features desks, private offices, a conference room, classes, and networking.
- wework (79 Madison Avenue; 855-593-9675): Amenities include B+W / Color Prints; Copy/Scan, Conference Rooms, Free Beer, High-Speed Internet & Wifi, lounges, Organic Coffee, Private Phone Booths, health insurance solutions
- The Yard (234 Fifth Avenue at 27th Street): The Brooklyn Coworking Space is expanding further into Manhattan with shared desks (~$400-$500) and private offices (-$800 for single person offices) starting September 1st, 2014, just north of Madison Square Park. There is also a rumor that another Yard space will be opening in the Flatiron soon.
- Coalition Chelsea (122 West 27th Street | 646-201-5508) Dedicated desks from $395/month and private offices from $1000/month.
- Coalition Union Square/Flatiron (902 Broadway at 20th Street | 646-201-5508): Shared desks from $250/month and private offices from $1500/month.
- General Assembly (902 Broadway): They actually shut down their co-working space to make room for more classes.
Coworking spaces in the Flatiron, Nomad, and around Madison Square Park, a definitive list,