The Yard Flatiron workspace is now open, and after a tour, MadParkNews liked it so much that we immediately moved our headquarters to an office in the building. The Yard took over most of the building at 234 5th Avenue and 27th Street, and after a gut renovation job designed by architect David Bers, opened […]
Entries for the ‘Business’ Category
In a reversal of the trend towards shutting down bookstores, a Rizzoli bookstore is set to open next year at 1133 Broadway (between 25th and 26th Street) just northwest of Madison Square Park. They will have 5,000 square feet of street level retail space for their curated selection of books. The store will add a sophisticated and intellectual cornerstone to a stretch of Broadway which begins the Nomad neighborhood. If you appreciate the opening of a real bookstore, be sure to stop by when they are open, and by a book or two there even if it is ‘easier’ to by online.
From CEO Laura Donnini of the parent company, “For fifty-plus years the Rizzoli bookstore in New York City has attracted the discerning consumer of erudite, beautifully produced volumes on art, design, interiors, fashion, as well as literature, and important non-fiction books. Based on extensive market research in advance of the re-opening, we expect this customer—both New York-based, and visiting from all points national and international—to embrace the 21st century version of their favorite bookstore.”
Rizzoli opened its first New York City store in 1964 on 55th Street. Learn more at http://rizzolibookstore.com/2014/09/rizzoli-bookstore-will-reopen-new-york-citys-nomad-neighborhood/.
The wait is over to find out who will lease the retail space in the new condo development Two Forty One Fifth (241 5th Avenue between 27th and 28th Street)… and it’s not the most exciting news. It is a Ricky’s. The Halloween/makeup/etc store that you find all over the city decided we needed another […]
In case you were hoping some great new restaurant (or something else interesting) might open up in that prime space across from Madison Square Park at 23rd and Broadway, we learn it will be a TD Bank. The space was previously held by Benvenuto Cafe (950 Broadway at 23rd Street).
With the outdoor seating in the street plaza area on Broadway right there, it would have been a great place for a new cafe or restaurant, but alas, it seems the building owner went for a secure tenant at what is likely a high lease price. (Nothing against TD Bank, which actually seems like a decent bank, but do we really need more bank branches in the neighborhood?)
The Madison Square Park is clearly a hotspot for startups not only in New York City but in the United States, and a lot of these startups begin with a simple desk or office in a shared co-working space. Here is a look at some of the options in the Flatiron, Nomad, and Madison Square Park neighborhoods (NOTE – please send any additions or modifications to firstname.lastname@example.org):
[caption id="" align="alignright" width="250"] Grind (Image via http://grindspaces.com)[/caption]
Wix Lounge (235 West 23rd Street | 646-862-0833): A bit west of the neighborhood, but this is a free co-working, event and exhibit space for creative professionals from 9am-5pm Monday through Friday on a first-come first-serve basis.
- Grind (419 Park Ave South | 646-558-3250): Prices range from $35/day to $500/month for a shared desk from 8am-midnight. Amenities include free Intelligentsia coffee, a conference room, and phone booths for calls.
- NeueHouse (110 East 25th Street | 212-273-0440): A nice looking space for solopreneurs and small businesses (1-10 people) with shared table space, and private offices, plus a conference room and a screening room. Memberships start at $450/month and go up. They even have The Canteen with food directed by chef, Gregg Drusinsky (Casa Mono, Lupa and Le Bernardin).
- TechSpace Chelsea (44 West 28th Street | 212-905-7712): There are 62 office suites. Private offices start at $1250/month. TechSpace Flatiron (18 West 18th Street | 212-905-7725) Private offices start at $1250/month. There are 22 private office suites. The person who answered the phone for these locations was oddly unfriendly and offered no other helpful info so I personally would skip this one. Who needs attitude at your work space.
[caption id="" align="alignright" width="251"] COWORK|RS (Image via http://cowork.rs)[/caption]
COWORK|RS (115 E 23rd Street | 212-738-9581): Communal desks, private offices, meeting rooms, and a lounge, with fast internet, HD projectors, printers, copiers, free coffee, tea, and beer, foosball, ping pong and video games. Pricing ranges from $350/mo for a shared space and $800 and up for a private office.
- Studio Guild (18 West 27th Street): A wind powered space with 3 floors of desks for creative and tech types. All desks are $515/month (some with Empire State Building views!). There is a big conference room and shared internet.
- 42west24.com (42 West 24th Street |212-691-0609), Hot desks for $299/month, Desks for $499/mo., offices for$1900-$2500/month. Amenities include conference room w/ tv monitor, internet, and 24/7 access.
- OfficeLinks Hub (460 Park Avenue South | 877-649-5071): The space has big windows with a skylight streaming in natural sunlight. Provides a secure technology infrastructure, meditation room, phone booths, state of the art meeting rooms as well as private office space. Dedicated desk- $750, Full time membership – $500, Part time membership- $229, Day Pass- $35.
In Good Company Workplaces (16 West 23rd Street | 646-810-9195 AND 401 Park Ave South | 855.593.9675 AND 349 5th Avenue | 646.747.7127): This space is for women entrepreneurs and features desks, private offices, a conference room, classes, and networking.
- wework (79 Madison Avenue; 855-593-9675): Amenities include B+W / Color Prints; Copy/Scan, Conference Rooms, Free Beer, High-Speed Internet & Wifi, lounges, Organic Coffee, Private Phone Booths, health insurance solutions
- The Yard (234 Fifth Avenue at 27th Street): The Brooklyn Coworking Space is expanding further into Manhattan with shared desks (~$400-$500) and private offices (-$800 for single person offices) starting July 1st, 2014, just north of Madison Square Park. There is also a rumor that another Yard space will be opening in the Flatiron soon.
- Coalition Chelsea (122 West 27th Street | 646-201-5508) Dedicated desks from $395/month and private offices from $1000/month.
- Coalition Union Square/Flatiron (902 Broadway at 20th Street | 646-201-5508): Shared desks from $250/month and private offices from $1500/month.
- General Assembly (902 Broadway): They actually shut down their co-working space to make room for more classes.