Madison Square Park is an amazing oasis in New York City. It is a few square blocks of beautifully maintained public park space which can be found between 5th Avenue, Madison Avenue, 23rd Street and 26th Street. It is open from 6am-midnight every day. Within the park you will find the following:
- The Shake Shack: This is the first location of the now legendary Shake Shack, where the line can be 100+ people long to order up one of their Shack Burgers, Shakes, and frozen custards. Each month the custard calendar changes, so check here for the latest. You can also view a live webcam of the line to see how long it is before your visit.
- Architecture: Bordering Madison Square Park are two of the most famous architectural buildings in New York City, the Flatiron Building (23rd street and 5th Avenue) and the Met Life Clock Tower (24th Street and Madison Avenue).
- Art Programs: The Madison Square Park Conservancy hosts a year-round world class outdoor art program. Each season you will find thought-provoking sculptures, structures, video and audio art throughout the park by the most prominent artists in the world including Antony Gormley, Jim Campbell, Richard Deacon, Tadashi Kawamata, Rafael Lozano-Hemmer, William Wegman, Ursula von Rydingsvard, and Sol LeWitt.
- Free Music Concerts: Throughout the summer and fall there are free music concerts on a weekly basis. Check music in Madison Square Park for the latest.
- History: Did you know the Statue of Liberty torch was first displayed in Madison Square Park from 1876-1882? Did you know that baseball was created in Madison Square Park? Did you know the first American circuses were in Madison Square Park? And the original Madison Square Garden was on the Park? And the Flatiron building was at one time the largest building in the US? It’s a fascinating history you can read about on Wikipedia.
- Restaurants & Food: You will find literally some of the best restaurants in the world within a few blocks of Madison Square Park, including Eleven Madison Park, Gramercy Tavern, ABC Kitchen, Eataly, Craft, and dozens more. There is also the annual Big Apple BBQ event, and the Madison Square Eats market. Here is a list of amazing restaurants near Madison Square Park. Or check out the current Best Restaurants in the Flatiron.
- Children’s playground: The enclosed children’s playground is perfect for kids 2-6 to play on a variety of swings and structures.
- Madison Square Park Dog Run: On the west side of Madison Square Park is a large enclosed off-leash dog run, where dogs of all sizes can run around and play. Here is more info on the Madison Square Park Dog Run from our friends at DogSpin.com